Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Plastic coded BS rings

william peacock

Just heard that a sample plastic coded ring was displayed at the recent meeting of the SBS.

Having heard rumours  that the BS were considering replacing the present  anodized coded rings with plastic ones as used in some European societies, I would be quite concerned. as I, in the last year or two brought in a Mannes cock rung with a German coded ring

tried to decipher the number on it with little or no success,and that was with the use of a quality magnifying glass,even after the bird expired using a microscope found it was a 2004 bird but still could not make out the ring number.I could see the difficulties this would create when prize winning birds are ring checked at Championships shows! I sincerely hope the BS isn't  taking this step as they did with the so called new showcage.Again it's just speculation at the moment.Wonder what other members think?

Willie P.     

--
December 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

Now is Willie P boasting about his new outcross from Herr Mannes or about the proposed plastic rings,  My question is could they be stretched by heating to allow them to be put onto an older chick??  If they can be cut off easier than the aluminium ones then I am all for them,  If they are slightly wider than the current ones even more so, it would save cutting off a ring or two each year.  We just lost an excellent spangle hen as dirt had got behind the ring unnoticed and caused it to swell to such an extent we had to put her down, so if plastic rings stop anything building up behind the ring then it has to be a good thing...by the way she was off Mannes stock!

Best wishes for the breeding season, rings arrived today, pity I didnt stay in England...would have had them before Christmas.

December 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.