Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > What varieties do you breed and why?

Honor Dickie
Administrator

I have at least one of most of the varieties in my shed, but, as the last few years have gone on, certain varieties have gone or are dwindling. I have Normals, in all colours, Spangles,not had much success breeding pieds (recessive or dominant). Yellowfaces.

Rare varieties - Really got into them by accident, I bought some birds from Lee Marshall when I first started out, turned out that the cocks were split, to clearbody. When I bred them to normal hens, they produced  2 chicks as they started to feather up, I knew I had something different from anything else in the shed, they turned out to be 2 greygreen clearbody hens, both very successful on the show bench as youngsters, (one actually won, Best Beginner Young Bird at Edinburgh in 2008. I also bred a grey texas clearbody which was 3rd in the line-up for the CC at the BS show in Doncaster, my first time showing in Doncaster, so you can imagine, I was over the moon, really boosted me as a beginner. Those 3 hens, started my interest in clearbodies and from then on, I read as much as I could about them, what the standard was and now I'm trying to improve them.

When I first started, the standard called for clearbodies (hence the name) but, no hint of colour towards the tail end, I managed to achieve this, then the standard changed to allow a hint of colour. I think Clearbodies are beautiful and it is diffcult to get all the elements right. Donald Burnett constantly teases me about those funny things, but, I've done quite well with them.Variety is the spice of life and if nobody breeds these varieties, then we would have even less at the shows.

Donald Bruton has just introduced me to the world of Crests, so watch out Alistair White.:wink:

January 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Docherty

I have mainly normals with a few pieds spangles and lutinos which i will decide after this season if im going to continue with them or not as my other varieties i have seen at least a little improvement where as the lutino s have stood still but i have nt manage to talk Davy into letting me have any of his yet which could make a big improvement :) Also Honor with you mentioning Lee Marshall on your post he is definately a fancier i would like to visit i have seen some pics of is birds on another forum and they look very nice and he also seems like a nice bloke

--

Gary Docherty

http//dochertybudgerigars.webs.com

January 14, 2010 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Honor Dickie
Administrator

Gary,

I've known Lee and Derek since I started, Derek breeds mostly recessive pieds, Lee is concentrating on normals/spangles this year and last. You won't get a nicer guy than Lee, he is based in South Shields and will help you in any way that he can.

January 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Honor As probably most know my stud consists mainly of lightgreens in fact not many years ago I could have said it was all lightgreen,but present day a fair proportion are greygreen,this is possibly due to the fact, outcrosses brought over recent years have been of that colour,reason being top quality lightgreens are very difficult if not impossible to get hold of.

In the Sixties I was known as a cinnamon man,in fact they took over from my lightgreens,but I did rather well with them gaining best in shows etc did in fact  gain best young bird,an opaline cinn greygreen hen,at The Scottish Area Show .I'm afraid I havn't dabbled much in other varieties,though do recall,about thirty years ago bringing in a  pair of fallows, their colour was outstanding, they were small birds and narrow headed, however I paired the cock to one of my best normal hens, and the fallow hen to a quality normal  cock, the fertility was unreal,never have I bred so many youngsters per pair,the resulting birds were fractionally better than the original fallows,second season,paired best of them to good normals,again many offspring,again slight improvement,put panic set in when realised my birdroom was being taken over by  nice looking wee birds, no hesitation shipped every one down to Bert Wilson's Pet Shop,did make a tidy profit however.Sorry to be so long winded!

Willie P. 

January 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy Buckett

Mostly normals and opalines but have a few spangles starting to show in the nestboxes.

January 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.