Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New BS Standard

Honor Dickie
Administrator

What do you think of the new standard, do you like it, is it achievable? Tell us what you think.

January 10, 2010 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Honor re your question regards birds achieving a likeness to the new BS ideal.On impulse most of us would say at first no, the ideal portrayed by Roy Aplin in the 2009 standards issue is  to quote a phrase " Over the Top" in more ways than one, The head would appear out of proportion to the body, is the depth of face, ( the top of head to bottom of mask) in keeping with distance 'tween bottom of mask and feet.But it's a budgerigar we would all I think like to breed.and probably will. Also if you look back not a long while ago and study Eric Peake's BS Ideal of 1980 in the1989 handbook, I'm sure all would agree that Ideal has definitely been surpassed in no small way.The true aim of an Ideal is of course something to strive for and should always be case. Willie P.  

--
January 10, 2010 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Duncan Kean

some of the birds ive seen have well surpassed the ideal, but i think if it carries on the way its going, the birds will get to a stage when their lines will start to degenerate with dire results, nature will draw the line somewhere-maybe these birds should be brought back a bit

January 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Duncan Kean at 04:32PM on Jan 11, 2010

some of the birds ive seen have well surpassed the ideal, but i think if it carries on the way its going, the birds will get to a stage when their lines will start to degenerate with dire results, nature will draw the line somewhere-maybe these birds should be brought back a bit

Yes Duncan, There is I think danger signs a number of present day top winning birds are going beyond the score in bulk and excess feather.I hasten to say at the moment, not in the Scottish circuit,but I feel and it's only a personal observation, that at the Club Show,( and that's our premier event) over the last three years, when the top four birds are studied ,by that I mean best any age,best young bird, and opposite sex of each of these,50% of them are carrying too much feather.Now just this week at Land O' Burns, monthly meeting an excellant DVD was screened and it was most enjoyable, it was of one of the top winning studs in the country,obviously not to be named,it to a great part showed balanced matings, the quality was really outstanding, but in my opinion,both cock and hen in each pairing were bulky birds and heavy feathered,where perhaps the proper choice should be a  heavy feathered bird to a quality more intermediate feathered bird.

Willie P.

--
January 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.