Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > soft food

william peacock

Many and varied are the softfood mixtures one hears or reads of being offered by fanciers to their birds.Some so complex they could put Delia Smith to shame.But I wonder often how many of the exotic additives justify their consideration,take for instance fennel,I note this herb as being used regularly by a number of prominent breeders.It's fairly hard to come by expensive, and has little to offer in the way of vitamins.I firmly believe in a simple concoction of protien and vitamins such as hardboiled egg,carrot,brown bread,these are simply chopped together in a food processer  this year I've added finely desiccated peanuts as used for wildbirds.It's always important the mixture has a rather firm crumbly texture

Willie P.

--
January 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DSmith

Just wondering why peanuts? Wildbirds not having access to seed mixes as budgies do, can benefit from the high Omega 6 content in the peanuts, but if you are after the high Oleic acid content, mayhaps, olive oil would do?

January 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

DSmith at 05:07PM on Jan 13, 2010

Just wondering why peanuts? Wildbirds not having access to seed mixes as budgies do, can benefit from the high Omega 6 content in the peanuts, but if you are after the high Oleic acid content, mayhaps, olive oil would do?

D Smith,

The reason I add finely chopped peanutsto my soft food mix is because they are very high in protein,they also have trace elements,iron, zinc and magnesium.you suggest the use of olive oil, I'm afraid I wouldn't advise that,did many years ago use cod liver oil,as did most fanciers but not now,however at start of breeding season I treat my seed mix with a small addition of wheat germ oil.This can be bought at Hollond & Barrat's for a reasonable price. 

Willie P.

--
January 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DSmith

Mr. Peacock,  Its nice to know that you take a natural approach to raising their protein levels.  As for the olive oil, I have read on his website that a rather clever budgie chap uses it to great advantage in his soft food.  It would not raise the protein levels, but it would balance out the types of fat in their diet, and frankly, but  he must be doing something right as his budgies are impressive to say the least.  Thank you for the tip on wheat germ oil.

January 14, 2010 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Docherty

DSmith at 05:48AM on Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Peacock,  Its nice to know that you take a natural approach to raising their protein levels.  As for the olive oil, I have read on his website that a rather clever budgie chap uses it to great advantage in his soft food.  It would not raise the protein levels, but it would balance out the types of fat in their diet, and frankly, but  he must be doing something right as his budgies are impressive to say the least.  Thank you for the tip on wheat germ oil.

Who is this breeeder D Smith im sure they would not mind you sharing there name if there birds as impressive as you say

--

Gary Docherty

http//dochertybudgerigars.webs.com

January 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DSmith

Mr Docherty,   Refresh your eyes here www.shauwellensittich.ch

I am sure you will recognise the name.  Thank you for the prompt.

January 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Docherty

DSmith at 03:54PM on Jan 14, 2010

Mr Docherty,   Refresh your eyes here www.shauwellensittich.ch

I am sure you will recognise the name.  Thank you for the prompt.

Thanks very much for the reply DSmith 

--

Gary Docherty

http//dochertybudgerigars.webs.com

January 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.