Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Moving chicks

Gary Docherty

Just wanted to know in general what sort of time scale would you leave youngsters before putting them in the main flight or do you maybe put them in a small flight first.

I know most people have nursery cages and this is what i ve got but would like peoples thoughts on how long you would leave them in the nursery cage before moving them to the main flight?

It would be great to hear peoples different views on this.

--

Gary Docherty

http//dochertybudgerigars.webs.com

January 31, 2010 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Hi Gary, As with most precedures in and about the birdroom when to move young birds varies from one aviary to another.The most crucial decision  being when weaning the youngsters from their parents,many fanciers tend to transfer them as soon as they appear to be breaking seed. I believe in leaving young as long as possible,usually that being around the forty day period,it all depends on the temperament of the parents,and a close eye must always  be the rule,you every now and then get one of those youngsters who continually scramble up the cage front or into the box setting the cock on edge,in cases like that I move that individual as soon as possible To your question how long should youngsters be kept in the nursery or holding cage again opinions vary, I keep youngsters  in the nursery pen until they start breaking into the first moult,during this period of course all the extra supplements are offered and young are handled frequently showcage trained etc. quite an important tlme in their developement. 

Again Gary this routine works for me, others may adopt different methods.

Willie P.        

January 31, 2010 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Docherty

william peacock at 12:44PM on Jan 31, 2010

Hi Gary, As with most precedures in and about the birdroom when to move young birds varies from one aviary to another.The most crucial decision  being when weaning the youngsters from their parents,many fanciers tend to transfer them as soon as they appear to be breaking seed. I believe in leaving young as long as possible,usually that being around the forty day period,it all depends on the temperament of the parents,and a close eye must always  be the rule,you every now and then get one of those youngsters who continually scramble up the cage front or into the box setting the cock on edge,in cases like that I move that individual as soon as possible To your question how long should youngsters be kept in the nursery or holding cage again opinions vary, I keep youngsters  in the nursery pen until they start breaking into the first moult,during this period of course all the extra supplements are offered and young are handled frequently showcage trained etc. quite an important tlme in their developement. 

Again Gary this routine works for me, others may adopt different methods.

Willie P.        

Thanks alot for the reply Willie i appreciate it i must admit in trying to get the chicks away from the parents as quick as possible just really worried about either parent attacking them.

Its good to hear differant methods and being a beginner its just trying to put all the good info im getting together and seeing what works best in my shed.

--

Gary Docherty

http//dochertybudgerigars.webs.com

January 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy Buckett

As Im a beginner myself  Im continually watching the chicks once they come out of the nest box for signs of bullying from parents and also for signs of stressing the parents. Was thinking about moving some chicks around  35 days old  into the nursery cage today but will leave them a while longer , will move them in a week unless anything comes up . I really appreciate the information supplied by more experienced members . 

--

Novice breeder and exhibitor B7288, SB947 http://b7288budgies.webs.com/

February 4, 2010 at 6:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.