Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > How close do you go

Duncan Kean

Speaking of line breeding, as a beginner just how close do i dare to go when pairing up my birds. Do i pair half brother to half sister, cousin to cousin, aunt to nephew , i would say from my personal point of view, that i would go no closer than cousin to cousin, mainly from my inexperience in the hobby. Interested to hear from the experienced SBS members on how they go about it, just to enlighten the newcomers.

March 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Hello Duncan Re your querie regarding the matings of related birds,this is indeed a requirement if a stud of  budgerigars of uniformed likeness is desired, and of course this should I think always be an ambitious fanciers aim. However the first consideration must always be the correct pairing up of your stock whatever it's made up of. The pairing of cousins half brother and half sister and the like is perfectly okay and can give excellant results, but in most cases it's an option after you've bred for two or three years trying to upgrade your existing stock by balanced matings, by that as you'll be aware both cock and hen must have head quality depth of mask and type it's only in perhaps size, or spot one side may improve the other partner.A way forward I have employed a number of times over the years,indeed have done this present season.When I have managed to buy in a good quality cock, and it's always a cock bird,if possible from a stud with similar bloodlines to my own  I then pair him to several usually young hens the new import this year has sired three hens so far, eleven chicks resulting and he's got work to do yet. these youngsters next year will be I think useful in pairing together.Duncan at your stage in the hobby it can help your progress if you had an experienced fancier nearby advise you on suitable matings etc.that by the way is one of the big differences in the fancy now in my early days budgie fanciers spent half their lives in each others birdrooms now most go it alone!. Hope my ramblings may assist, Duncan. Willie P.         

--
March 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.