Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Feather Dusters

Duncan Kean

What i thought was a good un at 3 weeks old , turned out to be my first feather duster, totally gutted, not being sure at first i contacted Honor by email  and she confirmed that it was so. Now , according to books etc, feather dusters are the result of close line breeding, maybe inbreeding, but the pair it came from are unrelated, so whats the problem i have encountered:dry:

March 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Hello Duncan, Yes it is a big let down when you think a "Best in Show", looks on the cards then the feather duster characteristics appear. I would say it's not in my opinion,strictly correct to blame the occurrence of a Feather Duster on close breeding, as it's generally believed to be a mutation,however it is probable that your stock birds what ever their origin possess the feather duster genes and one of your pairings simply doubled up on those genes.I remember years ago when the mutation first appeared it was suggested a fancier was on the right tracks when these birds appeared how wrong that theory turned out to be! In  my experience I have been perhaps fortunate having bred no more than five over a long period, and to prove the point I can't imagine anyone line breeding more than myself!  Willie P.

March 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.