Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > help

Dave nixon

I paired up birds last sunday and this morning went in to shed to find one of the cocks has hurt his leg and he cant put any weight on it.

The hen is cleaning out the nest box getting ready to lay I expect the first egg on wendsday or thurs do you think the cock has been with the hen long enough to fill the eggs? should i take the cock out replace him? will the hen execept a new cock?

--
March 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Duncan Kean

Dave, if you mean the pair have been together 1 full week, then theres every chance the eggs will be full, but this could all depend on other factors ie maiden hens or immature cocks etc, the hen will be fine to leave with the eggs and i would leave the cock in place ,as long as hes not suffering-but thats my opinion, Willie or Robert will probably have more experiance in these situations and may advise further.

March 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave nixon

Hi Duncan thanks for reply, the cock has filled eggs in past but the hen is her first time.

Had to take out cock today as he is suffering they have been together for full week hopfully hes mated with her enough to fill the eggs, i am tempted to put another cock in with her to see if she will take to him i will keep you posted on what happens.

March 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Honor Dickie
Administrator

Dave,

Don't put another cock in right away, give her a few days.

March 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.