Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > BREEDING HENS

Duncan Kean

Now that breeding is drawing to an end, it would be interesting to hear how the members go about the recovery process for tired hens, i feel there should be a chapter in most books, dvds etc for this but have came across very little information on it, and its one important area i would like advice on as i feel it takes a lot out of my hens even after just one round, i give them plenty calcium additives etc but seem to be missing out on something.

--

Duncan

April 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert N

Really good question Duncan,

After a hectic and tiring breeding season two things are in my opinion really crucial.

Breaking the bond between the hen and cock and ensuring that the hen especially remains fit and is encouraged to slowly build her strength to cope with the stress that lies ahead, when introduced to the main flight.

We will all have our own thoughts on how best to achieve this but for me it's fairly straightforward.

When the pair are separated the hen is placed in a double breeder with a few other hens or young chicks and given the protein and goodies that will help and build her back to the level of fitness we wish for.

Nourishment is vital at this stage so be careful and ensure that she receives a balanced diet.

I do not rush her back to the flight and will give her at least two/three weeks before placing her in the main flight, and only if she is really fit.

Remember that each bird may react differently to their surroundings and be ready and prepared to act if required.

She may feel threatened by the other birds in the stock cage so she may need a cage to herself for a few days .

Hope this helps

Cheers

Robert N      

April 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Docherty
What I usually do is put the hens I have finished with in a cage there self for a week then I put them in with the sales birds which are usually in a double or treble breeder and are left in peace with just a good diet and fresh water and little or no interferance from me as once I have have picked what birds are to go I don't look at them to much as I think its easy to change your mind and you can't keep them all. Once the hen or hens are feeding well and look fit and healthy they are reintroduced into the main flight.
--

Gary Docherty

http//dochertybudgerigars.webs.com

May 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.