Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > TOTAL SHOCK

Duncan Kean

Came home from work today to find that one of my hens had lost the plot in the nestbox, two recently hatched chicks butchered and the rest of the eggs broken and the embryos destroyed. She is a clearbody hen paired to a clearbody cock, shes a good hen, so im in a bit of a pickle in what to do, do i break up the pair or do i let them hav another go, do i disgard the hen altogether, never to pair her to a mate again. I know that this happens to fanciers now and again, so i guess it was my turn, ive had a cock bird kill chicks but this is a first coming from a hen, actually felt like chucking it , but i know its still a relatively rare event. Back to the drawing board.

--

Duncan

May 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Duncan Kean

Forgot to mention, cleaning out the carnage that hen left, came across a wee chick still barely  alive ( just hatched by the look ), ive fostered it to a pair who are well through their second round, so it may be a hit or miss, got to say that the foster mother took an instant interest, hope its not too late .

--

Duncan

May 24, 2012 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

alan gordon

Duncan Kean at May 24, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Forgot to mention, cleaning out the carnage that hen left, came across a wee chick still barely  alive ( just hatched by the look ), ive fostered it to a pair who are well through their second round, so it may be a hit or miss, got to say that the foster mother took an instant interest, hope its not too late .

hi duncan this happened to me last year its demoralising i felt the same as you then said to my self this must be bad luck i let the same pair go again then fostered the eggs.tried her again and said to myself see if she would bring them herself it was a no go 1st chix she wouldnt feed so managed to get the eggs fostered which were full and from now on when i breed her thats what im going to do just foster the eggs dont know if in a real world thats what your meant to do. all the best alan

--

alan gordon   melrose

May 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jondia

hi,

good advice is only any use if it works so i can only agree with alan gordon. if the pair are of your line breeding plans then swap the eggs with a proven pair that are reliable, putting the other pairs eggs under your problem pair . if it is the hen alone , or her mate that is the culprit you could make further decisions on the future of them for breeding results.

im no expert but have done similar with many species of birds, it just depended on the value i gave to my breeding regime.

john.

May 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

It sounds a dreadful experience,Duncan and must say I can't  add to Alan and Jondia's advice as I would do exactly as suggested, not a nice finish to the season. Regards. Willie P. 

--
May 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.