Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing
Double-click

SCOTTISH EXHIBITION BUDGERIGARS & FRIENDS

FOR ALL THINGS BUDGERIGAR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > pulling tails

Duncan Kean

looking ahead to showing this season, i have a few older birds that are decent enough for showing, but tails seem to be pretty slow growing after the october moult, would it be wise to pull the "stunted tails" out, or do i cut them first and wait a week or so. Also, is it wise to pull the tails of your youngsters as some breeders do, im sure theres method in the madness about this as to be beneficial, in which case ,pulling mask spots from young birds( before their first moult) may also be a good idea, right or wrong?

--

Duncan

June 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

william peacock

Hi Duncan As you know and say "Golden Rule," when drawing talls they must beforehand be cut halfway up the quill with sharp sissorsI would say minimum of ten days prior to being drawn also if both tails require removal always draw one then the other a week later, marking dates on the calender. Can't see advantage of removing barrhead throat spots though I know some fanciers do. Have just today sent for more rings have rung my quota of 100 but  one of my pairs produce four super light green hens,in first round so I'll let them go again. Regards Willie P.   

--
June 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.